Lola smiled warmly at both of us, and then got a little twinkle in her eye. "Congratulations on the coming child!"

Ivy was scandalized. "Lola! I'm not pregnant!" she said, laughing.

Lola's smile widened. "I said 'the coming child.'"

Sunday, December 2, 2012

"She means the chair"

Today at the grocery store, I ran into our friends Dave and Mary, and their daughter Ella, who is 8 or 9. 

Dave asked if we could use a gliding-style rocking chair, I said 'absolutely!' Mary joined us in the ice cream aisle, with Ella right behind. 

"They'd like to take the rocking chair," Dave told Mary, who expressed excitement that they would free up some space. When she mentioned it to Ella, she was crestfallen. 

"I like that chair!" she said. 

Mary explained the situation. "Jim and Ivy are going to have a little baby soon. Wouldn't it be nice for them to have it?"

Ella brightened a little. "Okay. And maybe I could come visit!"

"Yes," I said. "That would be very nice. You could come and visit our daughter, and our dogs..." 

Ella had turned away to look at something on one of the shelves. 

Mary turned to me and whispered: "She means the chair."

1 comment:

  1. Ivy and Jim, We are SO excited about Linnaea's forthcoming arrival in the world!! Please forgive her if she is kicking hard Ivy, we know she is anxious to meet her favorite cousin (Maggie) aunt ( Auntie Cathy) !!!

    ReplyDelete